GDT Naturfotografen-Wettbewerb (Society of German Wildlife Photographers)
- 2015 | 1. Place Overall Winner Of The Year "Sumpfsiegwurz"
- 2015 | 3. Place Birds "Abendsänger"
- 2015 | 5. Place Other Animals "Krötenzauber"
- 2014 | 4. Place Birds "Schöner Rücken"
- 2014 | 1. Place Plants & Fungi "Spotlight im Wald"
- 2014 | 4. Place Plants & Fungi "Waldhyazinthe"
- 2013 | 1. Place Other Animals "Im Spotlight"
- 2013 | Highly Commended Other Animals "Baldachinspinne"
- 2013 | Highly Commended Other Animals "Lauerstellung"
- 2013 | Highly Commended Plants "Mooskapsel"
- 2012 | 1. Place / Overall winner of the year "Krötenwanderung"
- 2012 | 2. Place Plants "Sonnentau"
- 2010 | 1. Place Other Animals "Wespenspinne"
- 2009 | 1. Place Mammals "Eilig"
European Nature Photographer of the Year
- 2013 | 2013 Highly Commended Plants "Lichtspiel"
- 2013 | 2013 Highly Commended Plants "Blaue Stunde"
- 2012 | 2012 2. Place Other Animals "First Kiss"
- 2008 | 2008 Highly Commended Other Animals "Hängepartie"
- 2008 | 2008 Highly Commended Nature "Sonnentau"
- 2006 | 2006 Highly Commended Birds "Im Sandsturm"
- 2006 | 2006 Highly Commended Nature "Tau im Spinnennetz"
BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year
- 2015 | Finalist Invertebrates "Wings of summer"
- 2015 | Finalist Plants “Meadow Canvas”
- 2012 | Commended Cold-Blooded Animals "Sizing Up"
- 2009 | Highly Commended Animal Portraits "Hare Sitting Tight"
Asferico International Photography Contest
- 2015 | Highlight Birds "Middle spotted woodpecker"
- 2015 | Highlight Other Animals "Canopy Spider"
- 2015 | Category Winner Plants & Fungi "Herp Paris"
- 2015 | Highlight Composition & Forms "Spawning cords and tedpoles"
I’ve been interested in nature since I was a child. I come from a hunting family and as a little boy I was fascinated by the photos of animals in my father’s hunting magazines. Inspired by them, I bought myself an SLR camera with a small telephoto lens as a teenager.
In 2005 I first started taking nature photography seriously and it was in that year that I bought my first digital camera. It’s always been my intention to sensitize people to nature through my photography. I aim to create artistic images that encourage the observer to pause for a moment and reflect.
My photography excursions have taken me to remote regions of Norway, Sweden, Finland, Bulgaria, Romania and Spain, and also to South Africa, South America and the Falkland Islands. I have been observing and photographing nature for many years now, and I’ve noticed how the biodiversity of our environment is increasingly declining.
This led me to establish Aufwind gGmbH, a non-profit nature conservation organisation. The aim of Aufwind gGmbH is to promote nature conservation by supporting both regional and international initiatives with the proceeds from the sale of my photographs.
1. WICH IS THE CENTRAL QUESTION IN YOUR LIFE AS A PHOTOGRAPHER?
It’s always been my intention to sensitize people to nature through my photography. I aim to create artistic images that encourage the observer to pause for a moment and reflect.
2. WHO ARE THE PHOTOGRAPHERS / OR OTHER ARTISTS THAT INSPIRE YOU?
There are many excellent nature photographers around, and in my eyes their work and their photographies are important because they give nature a voice and help to show people how beautiful and at the same time vulnerable our planet is.
3. WHAT MAKES AN EXCELLENT PHOTOGRAPHER?
An excellent photographer plays with light and atmosphere. He is able to achieve artistic images, that cause the observer to stop for a moment and reflect - as good paintings can do, too.
4. WHAT MOTIVATES YOU IN YOUR WORK AND WHAT IS DEMOTIVATING?
I am fascinated by nature, that´s why I am spending most of my time being outside. Over the years of watching and photographing wild life I have realized that the speed of loosing the diversity of species has dramatically increased. This is why I have founded a non-profit company called Aufwind gemeinnützige GmbH für Natur und Umweltschutz with the purpose to support nature protection projects. All the proceeds from my photographic activities go directly to this institution.
5. WHAT ARE THE MOST PASSIONATE MOMENTS IN YOUR WORK?
I am getting very enthusiastic when I could capture rare moments or was able to achieve an image of a simple scene, yet with an impressionistic atmosphere.
6. WHAT ARE THE MAIN CHALLENGES IN YOUR WORK?
As my photographs are exclusively taken in wild life surroundings, it needs a lot of patience. The challenge then is to catch the perfect moment, when the animal is behaving naturally in light conditions beyond just documenting.
7. HOW DID YOU DEVELOP YOUR ARTISTRY?
Shortly after I had started photographing digitally I experimented a lot with light and exposure times to create more artistic images opposing to simple documentaries.
8. WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR PERSONAL LEARNING IN PHOTOGRAPHY THAT YOU WOULD CONVEY TO A "NOVICE"?
First, in nature photography it needs a lot of patience. Then, one needs to train the eye to anticipate the perfect moment coming.
9. WHICH ARE THE DRIVING FORCES FOR YOU PERSONALLY AND IN YOUR WORK?
I’ve been interested in nature since I was a child and still I love to be outside, especially in the early mornings and in the late evenings. These offer the most atmospheric light conditions for taking pictures. Also, at these times there is a lot of activity going on in nature.
10. WHICH FEELINGS DETERMINE YOUR WORK WHEN OUT IN THE FIELD?
Watching wild life and being outside reminds me how beautiful nature is.
11. ON WHICH CRITERIA DO YOU JUDGE YOUR OWN WORK AS SUCCESSFUL?
For myself I am happy when I was able to capture the right moment in perfect light conditions. And the more people are touched by my work the better.
12. YOUR PHOTOGRAPHIC WORK AND THE BEAUTY OF OUR PLANET, NATURE: WHAT CONNECTION DO YOU SEE?
It is my intention to sensitive people to nature through my photography’s and to encourage the observer to pause for a moment and reflect.
13. ASSUMING YOU WOULD HAVE 15 MINUTES ON A TV BROADCAST AND PEOPLE ALL OVER THE WORLD COULD LISTEN AND UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU WERE SAYING, WHAT WOULD BE THE CORE OF YOUR MESSAGE TO THE PEOPLE?
The core of my message would be to respect nature and its creatures. Watch out for the tiny ones which don´t have a big voice. And if you like my pictures beware of that they are only a reflection, nature is the original.
»It is my intention to sensitive people to nature through my photography’s and to encourage the observer to pause for a moment and reflect.«